VQ Nominations are now closed for 2019.
The VQ Higher Learner of the Year Award rewards outstanding vocational learner achievement. Evidence must be provided that demonstrates that the vocational qualifications gained have aided success, in a way that allows them to stand out from their peers.
The higher vocational learner will have completed a vocational qualification in Wales at CQFW level 4 or above, awarded by a recognised awarding body or higher education institution. Evidence, from the awarding body or higher education institution, of having achieved the qualification will be required prior to any final judging decision being made (normally this will be a certificate).
Each nomination should:
- be completed by a nominator who is unrelated to the learner (normally a lecturer, employer or learning provider)
- include a supporting statement from a referee that will be marked (see below)
- a personal statement from the nominee
The supporting referee should be someone who can offer a different perspective, for example:
- a former or current learning provider
- an employer or voluntary organisation
- someone who can offer a perspective on the nominee’s achievements
We accept multiple applications but only one nomination per level of award is permitted per vocational sector (eg catering, care, construction, accountancy, engineering, ICT).
Duplication of information on applications will result in disqualification.
Judges will look for:
- Evidence of vocational learner achievement and excellence in their chosen field.
- Evidence that their qualification and learning experience has directly influenced their achievements – how have they applied their knowledge gained from the vocational qualification into professional and personal development?
- Evidence that their achievements are superior to those of their peers – how have they gone above and beyond what is expected and set themselves apart from the crowd, adding something to the working environment and wider community?
Nominations for the VQ Higher Learner of the Year award must be received by 12.00 noon British Summer Time (BST) on Friday 8 March 2019. Finalists will be informed by Thursday 28 March 2019.
The winner and finalists will be selected from all nominations using the judging criteria, and all finalists will be invited to attend the VQ awards ceremony which will take place in the National Museum, Cardff where the Wales VQ Intermediate Learner of the Year 2019 will be announced.