The VQ Intermediate Learner Award rewards outstanding vocational learner achievement. Supported by evidence that demonstrates how the vocational qualifications has aided their success, in a way that allows them to stand out from their peers.
The learner will have completed a vocational qualification in Wales, awarded by a recognised awarding body, at CQFW level 3. Evidence, from the awarding body, of having achieved the qualification will be required prior to any final judging decision being made (normally this will be a certificate).
Each nomination should:
- be completed by a nominator who is unrelated to the learner (normally a lecturer, employer or learning provider)
- include a supporting statement from a referee that will be marked (see below)
- a personal statement from the nominee
The supporting referee should be someone who can offer a different perspective to the nominator, for example:
- a former or current learning provider
- an employer or voluntary organisation
- someone who can offer a perspective on the nominee’s achievements
We accept multiple applications but only one nomination per level of award is permitted per vocational sector (eg catering, care, construction, accountancy, engineering, ICT).
Duplication of information in applications will result in disqualification.
Judges will look for:
- Evidence of vocational achievement and excellence in their chosen field.
- Evidence that their qualification and vocational education journey has directly influenced their progression – how has the knowledge gained from the vocational qualification supported professional and personal development.
- Evidence that their achievements are superior to those of their peers – how they have gone above and beyond what is expected and set themselves apart from the crowd.
Nominations for the VQ Intermediate Learner of the Year award must be received by 12.00 noon British Summer Time (BST) on Friday 8 March 2019. Finalists will be informed by Thursday 28 March 2019.
The winner and finalists will be selected from all nominations using the judging criteria, and all finalists will be invited to attend the VQ awards ceremony which will take place in the National Museum, Cardff where the Wales VQ Intermediate Learner of the Year 2019 will be announced.